Holi the grand festival of colours isn’t complete without a delicious mouth watering treat. The secret to make yummy and delicious Puran Poli (पूरण पोळी ) is very simple. Today I will write about some short cuts to make Puran i.e the filling of the Poli using Microwave.
For Filling ( Puran) :
- Channa Dal – 4 cups
- Jaggery (Gud) – 4 cups
- Elaichi Powder – 2 tsp
- Nutmeg powder – 1 tsp
- Dry Ginger Powder
- Pinch of Salt
For the Covering (Poli):
- Maida – 2 cups
- Knead a nice dough for the Poli by mixing Maida, Pinch of salt, some drops of cooking oil or ghee and water. The dough must be soft and without any lumps.
- For making the filling (Puran)- Cook channa dal in pressure cooker. Usually one whistle is sufficient for the channa dal to cook.
- Once the channa dal is cooked, put some jaggery in the cooked dal while its still hot. You can also add salt and dry ginger powder to enhance the flavour. Inorder to make the puran you have to put this mixture in Puran Yantra if you have one. Orelse you can to follow this amazing highly simple process:
1. First remove this mixture from the blender add some water if it is too dry.
2. After removing from the mixture keep the soft guey puran in the Microwave for 10 – 15 mins until it dries and becomes soft and malleable.
This is how it should look.
- Now add Elaichi powder and nutmeg powder to the Puran and mix.
- Next take small ball of the white dough and slightly roll it on the rolling board using the rolling pin. Then take the rolled dough in the palm and place a ball of the Puran on it. Then gently envelope the dough over the Puran ball. Remember that the white dough is very elastic so you can pull it gently inorder to completely cover the Puran.
- Now roll it again with the help of rolling pin to form a nice round and thin Puran Poli.
- Heat the cooking pan or Tava on the flame. Roast the Puran poli until its well cooked.
Serve the Hot Puran Poli with a blob of ghee or milk or katachi amti 🙂