My lovely family has a wonderful tradition to send Christmas cake to all our family members! We use to buy expensive cakes from Bridys, Eden, Cake basket, etc. and send my Sister in Law, my Mother and my Mother in Laws mother. Every time we expected to relish this wonderful cake with everyone, most of the occasions we really enjoyed it! Sometimes it was a disappointment as the taste was not up to the mark. In 2009 when I bought my very own oven I decided to bake Christmas cake!
The preparation for the cake took me some while but which recipe to follow was a great confusion. I have a very Dear friend Daisy who belonged to the Christian community. So every year me and my husband visit her humble abode wherein her family definitely bestows us with lovely Christmas cake, marzipan, chocolate fudge, etc.
Then once I decided to prepare Christmas cake at home, my mind ensured I took a detailed recipe from Daisy. I tried her recipe as per the guidelines and my very first Christmas Cake took birth!
Experimenting on various ingredients gave me an opportunity to develop rum cake recipes which are loved by all my friends and family. I have even made a rum and cranberry cake that is full of anti-oxidants.
Kudos to Daisy and her family, here is the best Christmas cake recipe which I am sure will motivate you to prepare one for your family this Christmas!
- White flour - 3 cups
- Baking powder- 2 tsp
- Eggs- 4 nos.
- Sugar- 2 cups
- Butter- 150 gms
- Elaichi powder or vanilla essence
- Dry fruits- cashew, walnuts, raisins, dates, etc.
- Candied cherry -1 cup
- Orange peel - 2 chopped finely.
- In a nonstick pan cook all the dry fruits, finely chopped dates, candied cherries and orange peel along with rum for 8 minutes. Close the pan with the lid so that all the ingredients are cooked well homogeneously.
- While the dry fruits are getting cooked butter in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Grease the cake mold with butter and some white flour.
- Sieve the white flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk the eggs with a egg beater until they are soft and fluffy.
- Add the whisked eggs, melted butter and sugar in the white flour and baking powder. Mix thoroughly to form smooth batter.
- Now add the rum cooked mixture of dry fruits, dates, orange peel and candied cherries into the cake batter.
- Mix well to distribute the dry fruit mixture uniformly and then gently pour in the cake mold.
- Bake the cake at 180 degrees for 45 minutes. Keep checking the center of the Christmas cake with a knife to see whether it is cooked completely.