This is my first post in 2016, so here is a sweet recipe – Tilachi Poli. My kids enjoy eating crunchy sweet polis. Til poli is a popular Maharashtrian sweet roti. It is stuffed roti with a mixture of nutty sesame, crunchy peanuts and jaggery. Taste great with a smear of ghee. The sesame seeds are extremely rich in calcium, hence Tilachi Poli is a healthy snack especially in winters. It was observed by people in winter sesame seeds boost your system and make you feel warm. Keeping its properties in mind all cultures have adapted a easy to make recipe during Sankranti.
Using easily available ingredients this sweet poli has become favorite snack not just in Maharashtrain community but also throughout India. So go ahead and give this a try!
- Maida - 2 cups
- Oil - 3 spoons
- Roasted Sesame seeds - 2 cups
- Whole roasted chana (dale) - 2 cups
- Roasted coconut shaving - 1 cup
- Khaskhas - 1/2 cup
- Roasted Peanuts - 1 cup
- Eliachi powder - 2 tsp
- Jaggery (Gud) - 2 cups (powdered or grated)
- Ginger powder - 1 tsp
- First grind sesame seeds, roasted whole chana (dale), peanuts, khaskhas separately in a mixer grinder.
- After they are fine mix them together in an bowl, add eliachi powder, ginger powder and jaggery.
- Adjust the sweetness of the mixture as per your taste. You can always add more jaggery.
- Now to make a Til poli covering, kneed maida, salt, oil and water together to form a soft dough.
- To roll a poli take a small ball of the dough and roll it into small thin circle.
- Add stuffing in the dough circle and close it gently.
- Using a rolling pin and board make thin poli / roti.
- On heated tawa, place the rolled poli to cook. Smear some ghee once the poli is cooked.
- Don't forget to serve them hot!